Dr. Guy Abel
My migration research interests lie in 3 main areas.
1) Estimation of comparable international migration flows.
2) Estimating detailed internal migration data.
3) Forecasting migration, as a component of population change
Ph.D., Division of Social Statistics, University of Southampton, United Kingdom.
Thesis title: International Migration Flow Table Estimation.
M.Sc. Social Statistics (awarded with Distinction), Division of Social Statistics, University of Southampton, United Kingdom.
Masters Thesis: Combining Census and Registration Data to Estimate Detailed Elderly Migration Flows in England and Wales.
European Commission Eurostat Tender no 2006/S100 106607 (OJ 27/05/2006) for the supply of statistical services: Modeling of statistical data on migration and migrant populations. Project coordinated by Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute. Responsible for developing the model for estimating international migration flows between countries in the EU, under the supervision of Dr. James Raymer.
Senior Research Fellow at the Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute (S3RI). Developing a modelling approach to estimate international migration flows using Bayesian categorical data methods. Working under the supervision of Dr. James Raymer, Dr. Jakub Bijak, Professor Jon Forster and Professor Peter W.F. Smith.
- Education and migration
- Migration worldwide/in Europe
- Abel, G.J. (2010): Estimation of international migration flow tables in Europe. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A (Statistics in Society) 173 (4) 797-825.
- Raymer J., Forster, J., Smith P.W.F., Bijak, J., Wisniowski, A. and Abel, G.J. (2010): The IMEM model for estimating international migration flows in the European Union. Joint UNECE/Eurostat Work Session on Population Projections, Geneva, Switzerland, 14-16 April 2010.
- Raymer J. and Abel G.J. (2008): The MIMOSA model for estimating international migration flows in the European Union. Joint UNECE/Eurostat Work Session on Migration Statistics, Geneva, Switzerland, 3-5 March 2008.
- Raymer J., Abel G.J. and Smith P.W.F. (2007): Combining census and registration data to estimate detailed elderly migration flows in England and Wales. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A (Statistics in Society) 170 (4) 891:908.
ESRC Centre for Population Change
Dr. Guy Abel